The QUALETRA consortium invites everyone interested in legal translation to participate in the final QUALETRA conference – legal translators, researchers, trainers, legal practitioners, (including lawyers, judges, etc). We especially invite experts to describe the state of the art and demonstrate their cutting-edge results and regular legal translation users to share their experiences.
The final conference of the project will focus on training, assessment, certification and accreditation of legal translators in criminal procedures in the EU. The project aims at providing an EU-wide platform for the exchange of best practices and experiences in the following areas, related to the specific working conditions of legal translation in criminal proceedings:
• Generic analysis of the essential document types as listed in Directive 2010/64/EU (Article 3) with a view to defining indicators, templates, and terminology to achieve quality in legal translation of these documents;
• Generic analysis of the European Arrest Warrant (EAW) with a view to defining indicators and terminology to achieve quality in legal translation of these documents;
• Development of curricula and training materials for legal translators;
• Development of one or more core curricula for language training of legal practitioners;
• Development of testing, evaluation and assessment procedures and materials for legal translators;
• Development of EU-wide recommendations and best practices for testing, evaluation & assessment procedures and materials.
Therefore, we would like to receive abstracts for presentation at the conference. Accepted presenters will be eligible for funds allocated by the project as follows: the amount as is budgetted for travel within the EU will be allocated to both presenters from the EU and from beyond the EU. This entails that presenters from beyond the EU will have to sollicit funding for the difference between the EU amount and the overseas costs.
Submission of abstract: 15 February 2014
Notification of acceptance: 15 March 2014. It will be specified whether the abstract will be accepted for presentation at the conference and/or for the publication in the journal.
Submission of the full paper: 31 August 2014.
Please find more information in the attachment or on the EULITA website: http://eulita.eu/qualetra-final-conference
Ken De Wachter
Faculty of Arts
University of Leuven | Campus Antwerpen
Sint-Andriesstraat 2 | B-2000 Antwerpen